Since its creation almost 30 years ago, Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 has stumped many an employer. In this session, we will demystify this brief, yet complicated document.
Tuesday, April 28, 2015
11:30am - 12:30pm
Alexandra LaCombe, Troy Office of Fragomen Worldwide
Online registration is closed.
"Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Filling out Form I-9, but Were Afraid to Ask"
presented by: Alexandra LaCombe, Managing Partner, Troy Office of Fragomen Worldwide
Since its creation almost 30 years ago, Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 has stumped many an employer. In this session, we will demystify this brief, yet complicated document, and answer the following questions:
- Why does compliance matter?
- How can an employer keep unauthorized workers off payroll?
- What are discrimination violations related to I-9 and who are the members of “protected class”?
- How to correct errors on Form I-9?
- What is E-verify and what is its connection to I-9?
- How to correctly complete this document, anyway?
This webinar will provide answers to these and other relevant questions, as well as resources to help you navigate these issues.
Upon completion of the webinar, HR professionals will gain insights into:
- Who, how, and when must complete Form I-9 in order to be in full compliance with the existing laws
- Identifying issues that might lead to potential violations, including document abuse, citizenship status discrimination, and national origin discrimination and learn how to avoid them
- How to correctly complete Form I-9
- Identify errors on Form I-9 and know how to correct them
- Learn how to conduct internal compliance audits
- The resources that are available to assist employers with proper employment authorization verification
This webinar has been approved for 1.0 General Credit.
Complimentary for Detroit SHRM Members
$25 for Non-Members of Detroit SHRM
ABOUT THE SPEAKER:
Alexandra V. LaCombe is the Managing Partner of the Troy office of Fragomen Worldwide, the world’s leading immigration law firm. Her practice includes both individual and corporate client matters in the automotive, technology and other industries, as well as internationally recognized universities and research institutions, with a particular focus on regulatory compliance and immigration policy. Prior to joining Fragomen, Ms. LaCombe was in solo practice for several years, handling employment and family immigration as well as immigration litigation, and served as in-house immigration counsel at Electronic Data System Corporation.
Ms. LaCombe is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association and the Michigan bar. She is currently an Adjunct Professor with the University of Detroit-Mercy School of Law, teaching Immigration Law within the University's innovative "Law Firm Practice” curriculum. Ms. LaCombe is a graduate of the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (B.A.) and Columbia University School of Law (J.D.).