Our Value Proposition
Detroit SHRM provides its members with exceptional learning and development experiences and networking opportunities through events, webinars, specialized forums, certification programs, and chapter and community service activities.
Detroit SHRM is about developing leaders in the field of human resources. We meet you where you are in your career – from recent graduates to senior executives and every step in between – offering professional certification support, unique connections, continuing education, and peer-to-peer conversations, all designed to help you succeed in all stages of your career lifecycle.
The Detroit SHRM vision is to be known as the subject matter expert and thought leader for moving Metropolitan Detroit businesses forward by leveraging the capabilities of human resource members, while partnering with the business community to create a dynamic business environment.
We strive to do this by:
Hosting engaging local events, with dynamic presenters, who can make an instant impact for your current role, as well as a foundation for your career advancement.
- Providing educational and networking opportunities that are available when you are.
- Improving your business partner skill readiness and standing in the business community, to attract and strengthen the profession in the Metropolitan Detroit area.
- Developing the human resource profession and the awareness of human resource management best practices in the business community.
Our Mission & Goals
- Develop and communicate the Detroit SHRM brand, and deliver on the Detroit SHRM Value Proposition.
- Attract and retain chapter members by offering interesting, relevant, and timely content, for all levels of human resource professionals, and in convenient venues throughout Metropolitan Detroit.
- Support member connections to build HR communities for the development of professional relationships and networks, and to identify opportunities for career mobility.
- Deliver excellent member services and operate the chapter efficiently.
- Support SHRM, the SHRM Foundation, and the Michigan State Council, as well as promote their membership, products, and services.
Our Core Values
Detroit SHRM is the fusion of three professional human resources organizations including the Detroit Personnel Management Association (DPMA), the Industrial Relations Association of Detroit (IRAD) and the International Association for Personnel Women (IAPW). Each of these former organizations had a unique impact in the Detroit area, beginning in the early 1900s.
DPMA was founded in 1918 after a group of managers started meeting to discuss current wages, job shortages and alternatives to meeting the employee shortage aside from “raiding” each other’s talent pools. In the 1950’s, the organization’s name changed to the Detroit Personnel Management Association. IRAD had its beginning in the fall of 1945 when a group of industrial relations professionals from a variety of Detroit area companies decided there was a need for an employee/labor relations organization that would serve as a forum to discuss current issues and trends. The IAPW traces its beginnings to 1953, when 13 women met at Detroit Edison to discuss hiring, placement and salary scale practices. At that time they called themselves Detroit Women’s Personnel Group. Membership grew and they were issued an IAPW Charter in 1955 and became the Personnel Women of Detroit. In 1976, they became IAPW-Detroit.
In 1988, IRAD merged with DPMA to form the Human Resources Association of Greater Detroit as a result of changes in the HR profession. In 1989, the Detroit Chapter of IAPW broke from their national organization and sought membership in HRAGD. In 2012 the association was rebranded Detroit SHRM.